Power Outcold - Ludum Dare 39 Power Outcold - Ludum Dare 39

Beta

This game looks dull, it feels like something that is still being worked on. Just three screens? With the last one involving a nice little pixel perfect jump? Plus some slippery controls. There was nothing here. Some sound effects would have been nice. Also some background music, we have the Audio Portal filled to the brim with music to choose from. The idea is nice, it's not fleshed out much though. I understand that during Ludum Dare you're on a time limit, but this is just way too short and with little substance.

*Good Controls

*No Sound
*No Music

ChargeBot ChargeBot

The Little Roomba That Could

The graphics are simple, but I kind of like it that way. What was drawn as a ChargeBot I see as a little Roomba going on an adventure to stay alive. The sound effects more than convince me that it is indeed a Roomba. The music was good, nothing fantastic, but good. Calming, not in your face, and nice for the puzzle aspect. This game kind of took me back to the "Trapped" series here on Newgrounds, you should really expand on this idea in the future. Unfortunately I was not able to beat this game, I got stuck on Level 11. Just could not get to that 7 Charge Space. The controls I liked having the option with, I chose the arrow keys because it was faster for me. My only nitpick is that when I was taken back to the level select screen I had to choose the next level with the mouse and I could not use the arrow keys, again just a nitpick though. A nice fun game with some love put into it. I would love to see this expanded on in the future.

*Good Music
*Superb Gameplay

LightWolfStudios responds:

Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked it! :D

Running VoltGun Running VoltGun

Didn't Like It

The look of this game is absolutely beautiful. If Mega Man X and Sonic the Hedgehog had a baby it would look like this game. The music even matches that aspect beautifully along with the sound effects. However that's about all the positives I could say about this game. The controls are what killed it for me. I tried each control figuration and I still could not get a decent grasp of them. Then there is that barrier of bricks that you have to shoot through which is just tedious as all hell. What's wrong with the classic WASD control style? Move and jump with the arrow keys, shoot with S, dash with D, power toggle with W, and aim up with A. The controls did not make it fun to play which is a shame because this looks like a great idea for a game. Mega Man on a strict time limit.

*Masterful Presentation

*Bad Controls

Power Up! Power Up!

Fun and Quiet

I love the idea of this game, it is really something you should expand on in the future. The platforms I loved the depth you gave them, it is just a small touch, overall it is a nice one. The lightning fixtures I liked and it took me a while to realize that running in the hamster ball is what charged the meter back up. The sound was average. The jumping and charging sound effects were basic, but the lighting sound effects for zapping something were strangely satisfying to me. There is no music, which I felt was a bit of a shame really. The Audio Portal on here is full of songs to choose from, something simple would have been perfect. I also love how you ask if the character is a rat or a monkey then tell us all that it is just a badly drawn cat. I liked this game.

*Great Presentation
*Good Sound
*Great Controls
*Great Gameplay

*No Music

Running out of Power Inc. Running out of Power Inc.

And Nothing of Importance Was Lost That Day

This game just pissed me right the fuck off. Let's start from the top. I love how instead of music or silence we get just white noise, which I thought was cool and gave the game an ominous feel to it. The presentation was simplistic, you could make out the basics of an office complex. The story I actually kind of liked, except the ending sucked because no matter the path you took or the action you took, nothing happened at the end. I understand you got 48 hours and anything made in that time is ambitious. It doesn't excuse the lackluster ending though. I thought, well if I do this maybe there will be a different outcome... but there isn't. The controls are stiff which isn't too bad until you introduce the spike hazards which are... pointless. The introduction to them was okay, until the next room with them where you have to make a pixel perfect jump to get passed them. Replaying the game to see if there was a different ending based on a different path was awful. It just filled me with rage. Then the room with the text "I had a great time here" must have been some sick joke on your part or part of the story in the message being a lie. I'd believe both honestly because just a drop down into a spike room and another pixel perfect jump to get to the door. Overall the game wasn't that great. I mean come on, I remember playing Shword, a game you did in 7 days, which I absolutely loved.

*Good Presentation
*Good Sound
*Good Story
*Okay Controls

1 Minute Personality Test 1 Minute Personality Test

Evaluation: Awesome Game

It took me a minute to realize that the NPCs are randomly generated, once I had that figured out it became all about what I could do within the game. What if I did this, this and this, what result would I get. One thing I found out was if you kill the hostage and defuse the correct bomb, then the game's music will stop, but the game will keep going. It won't end for some reason. If I leave the building and go eat ice cream afterwards, then the bomb will explode. Weird.

The game looks simple, but I figure that's what you were going for in a way. We're playing a personality test. The music was good and the sound effects were nice to. I loved all of the different evaluations, they were funny and got me to laugh. I ended up getting all of the medals! I want to see more from you!

*Masterful Concept
*Masterful Controls

Shword Shword

Shword From Sha Shtone!

I want to start off by saying I loved how this game looked. It was simplistic and crude, yet engaging at the same time. Minimalism is one of my favorite traits and I love the armed turtles and psychotic destruction of the adorable walking enemies. The music and sound effects were both spot on. There wasn't really a story to this game, which I would have liked to be honest due to the world we're in. The gameplay though was absolutely amazing. It was like a simplified portal, but with more focus on the platforming aspect than the puzzle solving. I noticed after I had beaten a level that I could go back and beat it a different way. I really wished that this game was longer because I was really getting into it. Kudos to you sir! Can't wait to see more!

*Masterful Presentation
*Superb Sound
*Masterful Controls

(none)

Authentic Octopus Game (Demo) Authentic Octopus Game (Demo)

Game Boy Octopus

I wanna start off by saying that I love the dialogue in this game. It was witty and fun. Although not always clear as to the characters being here or the ordeal of the area I can excuse this because it is indeed a demo and not fully fleshed out.

The gameplay is fun, but the controls certainly were not. A to jump, S to shoot your weapon, D to switch weapons, and F to interact with stuff were all fine, but why do I need to push a separate button to do my double jump? I like that the double jump also equals as an air dodge that is a very clever idea, but I don't like that it is tricky to full off. Why couldn't I just push A twice?

The music is fun and takes me back to playing a Game Boy. That along with the presentation. I like the part where I am shown the future. It is like advertising your game as well as showing you what is to come. Quite the combo without taking the player out of the immersion. All in all, this was a very fun game.

*Superb Sound
*Good Controls
*Superb Gameplay

*Controls - Extra Button For No Reason

squidly responds:

Well the interesting part is that there already IS another double jump that you need to press A to use. The final thing here is that you actually get 3 jumps, with the air dodge typically being your last because it puts you into a helpless state.

Thank you so much for the review!

Jamming with Grandma Jamming with Grandma

Looks Can Be Deceiving

Usually games that look like this on Newgrounds tend to get unsavory reviews and responses and are usually wiped off by their looks alone. I at least attempt them and I wasn't disappointed thankfully. The presentation does have this vibe of kid friendliness to it... that was until a guy kidnapped me, put me in a room with an explosive (even though it wasn't one it was the most intense thing I've seen in a game with this kind of style), and then there is a kid dressed like Freddy Krueger outside in which I later learn that his glove consists of real blades... for a YouTube prank? This was the kind of madness I was reveling in!

The puzzles were pretty easy for the most part, although the safe combinations were what stumped me. It took me a while, but I got it, which I must say I was impressed with. Okay somebody else is probably reading this and thinking "dude, that was easy" and yeah, but I've seen harder point and click adventure games that have had others stumped on what to do that I easily figure out. In this case this one got me stumped. I must say there were even certain parts of the dialogue that had me laughing. All in all, it was a fun game!

*Great Presentation
*Great Controls
*Great Gameplay
*Superb Voice
*Great Story

Epix Quest - Minigame I Epix Quest - Minigame I

Heart-Pounding Action

Woo... that had me going for long time. My score was 399 at the end of it. Well let's take a look at it. The intro was nice and gave me a light chuckle. Then I come to a screen where I have to enter my name and I do, which I like the little typewriter sound effect when doing so, a nice touch that wasn't needed, but appreciated.

The game loads up and all I have to do is collect treasure chests. Starts out kind of boring really, but then some spikes appear... which no big deal for me, then boulders start rolling which at first the sound of effect of the boulder rolling and crashing was getting on my nerves. Then we have walls moving and the boulders moving faster at which point I was more than happy about the boulders loud noises to alert me to their appearance. Afterwards chests started appearing on the spikes which had me really tense. I was on the edge of my seat while playing which I can tell you I haven't had a Newgrounds game do that for me in a while. I was completely invested in everything.

The presentation isn't much to look at it, the chests honestly look like doors, other than that though it does get a pass, I know what everything is supposed to be and what is going on so it's a simplistic style choice that has no meaning other than to look neat and that I can appreciate, because there is still a game here, a good one at that.

There is no music to be found here and I can't decide on whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Ultimately it isn't needed, but at the same time it would have been nice for it to be an option at the very least.

The controls were tight and responsive and the game introduced elements to you slowly overtime so when I died it was my fault not the game's, I got too wily in trying to get that chest and I didn't account for the possibility of a boulder even though I felt like I was in a gumball machine that was being fed quarters by a child with ADHD with too many damn quarters!

Overall it was fun!

*Good Presentation
*Superb Controls

DragonHeadStudio responds:

You got the game! Thank You! :D
(Have some secret easter eggs inner)