The-Great-OneThe-Great-One

Main News Games Art Favorites Reviews Stats 125 Fans

Sinmara Saga Sinmara Saga

And Then You Die...

I always wondered how well a JRPG would translate over to a fighting game. If all the movements were done so quickly. We start off at a normal state of affairs, here's something you probably shouldn't bother yet, but you're going to anyways because you feel strong enough and thus we enter the battle. I loved the artwork and animation on this, it is absolutely perfect. The fluid motions on each character was just amazing to watch from beginning to end for each and every movement.

The sound effects to were spot on. The music was fitting for the title screen, field area, and I was afraid that you would switch to something grandiose for the actual fight scene, thankfully though you kept with the same theme of the past songs as well, the only difference was the change of quality from the video game world to the anime world, which as a fan of JRPGs it was like I knew exactly what was being played out.

My only nitpick is that I wish you would have switched back and forth between the anime scene and the video game scene, that would have been cool to see, but I must admit that after seeing this whole battle and seeing 9999 above the character's head and they just fall over and die was hilarious. Overall this is fantastic!

*Masterful Artwork
*Masterful Animation
*Masterful Sound
*Masterful Music
*Masterful Story
*Perfect Score

The Price of Living The Price of Living

Listen To That Money Talk!

Where to begin with this one. The artwork I thought was quite nice and the animation flowed smoothly, but still a bit sharp, which I liked. The music I thought was good as well, a little melancholy throughout it fit nicely though. The thing I really like about this was the story, I haven't had something make me cringe like that in quite a while. It reminds me a bit of Felix Colgrave's movie on here "The Pigpen", a similar concept with a widely different message, which I liked yet feel you kind of got lost along the way. The characters are money, he rips money from himself to pay for things, and yet he is given money. A small flaw, but the only one here I can find. All in all, a delightful movie.

*Great Artwork
*Superb Animation
*Great Music
*Superb Story

Hero Hero

I'm a bit mixed here. Although I did enjoy the story and the animation, I have to say that the design of the buildings, items, and characters are a bit lazy at times. Also the pacing on this was a bit fast, right when I saw the scientist grab the jet pack and saw the bomb at the bank I already knew how the rest of this story was going to play out. I can appreciate animation that can tell the whole story without words, but I think this would have been suited with some voice acting. There are no sound effects, which I think there should have been, plus the music although good, didn't fit with the animation. I still liked it though, the story was really sold me on it, even though the pacing wasn't done well.

*Good Artwork
*Great Animation
*Okay Music
*Superb Story

*No Sound

urbfilms responds:

Thank you for the honest review. I was aware of the pacing, but didn't know how to make it better. And yeah, I just liked the song, but I can see how it doesn't fit. Also for the backgrounds, I don't have photoshop, so I had to draw it with flash, which was terrible. Thanks for the review!

Jamming with Grandma Jamming with Grandma

Looks Can Be Deceiving

Usually games that look like this on Newgrounds tend to get unsavory reviews and responses and are usually wiped off by their looks alone. I at least attempt them and I wasn't disappointed thankfully. The presentation does have this vibe of kid friendliness to it... that was until a guy kidnapped me, put me in a room with an explosive (even though it wasn't one it was the most intense thing I've seen in a game with this kind of style), and then there is a kid dressed like Freddy Krueger outside in which I later learn that his glove consists of real blades... for a YouTube prank? This was the kind of madness I was reveling in!

The puzzles were pretty easy for the most part, although the safe combinations were what stumped me. It took me a while, but I got it, which I must say I was impressed with. Okay somebody else is probably reading this and thinking "dude, that was easy" and yeah, but I've seen harder point and click adventure games that have had others stumped on what to do that I easily figure out. In this case this one got me stumped. I must say there were even certain parts of the dialogue that had me laughing. All in all, it was a fun game!

*Great Presentation
*Great Controls
*Great Gameplay
*Great Music
*Superb Voice
*Great Story

Epix Quest - Minigame I Epix Quest - Minigame I

Heart-Pounding Action

Woo... that had me going for long time. My score was 399 at the end of it. Well let's take a look at it. The intro was nice and gave me a light chuckle. Then I come to a screen where I have to enter my name and I do, which I like the little typewriter sound effect when doing so, a nice touch that wasn't needed, but appreciated.

The game loads up and all I have to do is collect treasure chests. Starts out kind of boring really, but then some spikes appear... which no big deal for me, then boulders start rolling which at first the sound of effect of the boulder rolling and crashing was getting on my nerves. Then we have walls moving and the boulders moving faster at which point I was more than happy about the boulders loud noises to alert me to their appearance. Afterwards chests started appearing on the spikes which had me really tense. I was on the edge of my seat while playing which I can tell you I haven't had a Newgrounds game do that for me in a while. I was completely invested in everything.

The presentation isn't much to look at it, the chests honestly look like doors, other than that though it does get a pass, I know what everything is supposed to be and what is going on so it's a simplistic style choice that has no meaning other than to look neat and that I can appreciate, because there is still a game here, a good one at that.

There is no music to be found here and I can't decide on whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Ultimately it isn't needed, but at the same time it would have been nice for it to be an option at the very least.

The controls were tight and responsive and the game introduced elements to you slowly overtime so when I died it was my fault not the game's, I got too wily in trying to get that chest and I didn't account for the possibility of a boulder even though I felt like I was in a gumball machine that was being fed quarters by a child with ADHD with too many damn quarters!

Overall it was fun!

*Good Presentation
*Superb Concept
*Superb Controls
*Masterful Gameplay

Uncontrollable Uncontrollable

Level 19 Is Where I Stopped

I just couldn't go any further. I love this idea and other games have done this better such as Karoshi:Suicide Salaryman, Tower of Heaven, and The Unfair Platformer. I'll start with the positives though and work my way down.

Again I love the idea of a level changing the rules on you throughout it so you can adapt to it, however my problem wasn't figuring stuff out, it was how the levels were designed. Truthfully once I did figure it out I felt rather silly and it gave me that "Oh" moment, however that mostly stemmed from just running my hand across the keyboard until I saw something happen. That's not clever, that's annoying, but the true annoying thing came with two things.

One was at the catapult level, which I liked the idea of, but came to realize that this little square seems to have less than stellar traction so it would slide, which ended up killing me when I stuck the landing. I wouldn't have a problem with this, but it seems that some levels I have good traction and others I don't either that or this game made me extremely paranoid.

I stopped at Level 19, that was the level of just the level design showing its true colors. Jumping around these spikes is a nightmare. It is best to just imagine an extra spike on each side of the spikes because if your jump isn't pixel perfect then you will die and trying to make this kind of jump within a narrow area with a ceiling while your square is constantly jumping and you have to move it correctly brought me to a boiling point. I noticed in your description that you fixed an error in Level 19, well I'm glad I didn't see it because then I would've been really pissed.

There are extra collectibles along the way, but I stopped caring about those a long time ago. There is no real incentive to get them because if you get them and die you still get to keep them and I don't even know what they do.

The sound effects were passable and the music choice was nice at first, but it just slowly droned on me as I kept going. A variety would have been nice.

The overall presentation of this game is absolutely dull in which case I don't mind usually, but a little bit more flavor would have been nice to make it pop more. The font also could have been a bit bolder to make it easier to read, that's just a nitpick though.

All in all, a fun start, a middle ground with some headache, and an unsatisfying finish.

*Okay Presentation
*Good Music
*Good Sound
*Good Controls
*Great Concept

*Bad Gameplay - Level Design

_-={This Sacred Place of Ours} _-={This Sacred Place of Ours}

Come with me on a journey, to an unprecedented world. Without fear, without worry, but instead with knowledge and with reason. A place where at the end of the day you can truly rest in peace. I loved this peace. The abrupt end was a bit distracting and it seemed like it could have worked out better as a loop. Overall though it was great.

Les Mis the Confrontation Les Mis the Confrontation

I now absolutely love you! Pulling off two characters at once and you did a phenomenal job at it as well. I love Les Miserables and I am not one to make requests, but I would love to hear you sing Stars (my favorite song from Les Mis), I do not wish to strain your already busy schedule though. An awesome piece!

The American Child The American Child

"An uplifting fanfare of birth and life" yeah that pretty much sums it up.

The start sounds like something you would hear in a Presidential candidates advertisement. However once we hit 0:34 it becomes something else. I guess you could say that the beginning is entering the world and then we embrace it of what is to come. The universe coming to be in a short synopsis so to speak. This is an amazing piece and seems to bring hints of another one of your song "The Last Game". All in all, a wonderful little piece, I enjoyed it very much.

Bosa responds:

Wow, we're going back in time aren't we? 'The Last Game' -- now that's one of my songs that hasn't been mentioned in a few years.

It's good to hear from you again. I always enjoy your storytelling and creative input in your reviews.

Mr Potato - Painting Mr Potato - Painting

I quite like this piece. It holds this Gothic look to a point that is creepy, but at the same time intriguing to the eyes.

the House with a Window the House with a Window

Pretty Nice

As a stand alone piece it's not bad, but it begs to have other buildings and stuff around it. Possibly continue with this piece and branch it outward into a street with other buildings and people.

By itself it's not bad, but it could use more.

HappyYeti responds:

i agree, although, as of yet i'm still undecided about how a street would look, i've tried to make a street several times but i always seem to unknowingly simplify everything and it turns out rather badly...

Newgrounds Art, Noob tribute. Newgrounds Art, Noob tribute.

Sloppy

This won't do for the art portal and I doubt you'll get scouted.

First off that stick figure could stay if he had more detail to him like facial features or something within that lines. Now the tank and the fish. I see what you were going for, but you really could've put more effort into drawing the tank and the fish. I suggest you try a different medium instead of using MS Paint.

COMboy112 responds:

It was supposed to be a missile...
I forgot to add googles to the tank man. thank you for your help