View Profile The-Great-One

All 164 Game Reviews

44 w/ Responses

Level 19 Is Where I Stopped

I just couldn't go any further. I love this idea and other games have done this better such as Karoshi:Suicide Salaryman, Tower of Heaven, and The Unfair Platformer. I'll start with the positives though and work my way down.

Again I love the idea of a level changing the rules on you throughout it so you can adapt to it, however my problem wasn't figuring stuff out, it was how the levels were designed. Truthfully once I did figure it out I felt rather silly and it gave me that "Oh" moment, however that mostly stemmed from just running my hand across the keyboard until I saw something happen. That's not clever, that's annoying, but the true annoying thing came with two things.

One was at the catapult level, which I liked the idea of, but came to realize that this little square seems to have less than stellar traction so it would slide, which ended up killing me when I stuck the landing. I wouldn't have a problem with this, but it seems that some levels I have good traction and others I don't either that or this game made me extremely paranoid.

I stopped at Level 19, that was the level of just the level design showing its true colors. Jumping around these spikes is a nightmare. It is best to just imagine an extra spike on each side of the spikes because if your jump isn't pixel perfect then you will die and trying to make this kind of jump within a narrow area with a ceiling while your square is constantly jumping and you have to move it correctly brought me to a boiling point. I noticed in your description that you fixed an error in Level 19, well I'm glad I didn't see it because then I would've been really pissed.

There are extra collectibles along the way, but I stopped caring about those a long time ago. There is no real incentive to get them because if you get them and die you still get to keep them and I don't even know what they do.

The sound effects were passable and the music choice was nice at first, but it just slowly droned on me as I kept going. A variety would have been nice.

The overall presentation of this game is absolutely dull in which case I don't mind usually, but a little bit more flavor would have been nice to make it pop more. The font also could have been a bit bolder to make it easier to read, that's just a nitpick though.

All in all, a fun start, a middle ground with some headache, and an unsatisfying finish.

*Okay Presentation
*Good Music
*Good Sound
*Great Concept

*Bad Gameplay - Level Design

Don't Wanna Walk in Your Shoes

I tried to play this game on three different occasions each one irritating me each time. I read the description first where it said "A little art game" which I have nothing against as long as it isn't pretentious, then I get a nice little message from you where you dedicate the game to yourself to help you remember that you shouldn't look away.

I digress though, let's talk about the game a little bit. I like how you start with a small tutorial of putting the shoe together in which case you have to be pixel perfect, putting that shoe together is easy enough though. The controls worked well, but then again it is merely point and click to a precise level. When I get to the first shoe I just cannot get it put together. I swear from zooming in to zooming out it matches the picture perfectly. I figured though it is pixel perfect so perhaps I'll just take the shoe apart and try again. Which I did... and I got nowhere. I don't know what you're asking me for, but all I know is that it aggravated me to the point of just not caring about the game or your pretentious little message.

I can't imagine being timed while putting together these shoes, which I get is your point - factory workers though have an easier time than this game. I will say that it does look, the factory workers in the background look nice, the shoes look good, and overall the aesthetic pulls me in... the gameplay took me out of it. Also this nice sweet little song also drew me out. I am supposed to be immersed, and this fails to do so.

*Good Sound

|| Bad Points ||
*Bad Music - Not Fitting

Knytt Stories?

First impressions this looks rather intriguing. I loved the music and the atmospheric noises with the water streams and birds flying, it was nice. I get a power up that let's me climb and I realize it's just a wall jump really. I instantly think I'm playing Knytt Stories and that would be further confirmed when I picked up an air jump power which is just another way of saying double jump. I am finding triangles that will go towards opening a door at the end.

The concept is just a Knytt Stories clone to be honest, which wouldn't have been as bad if something more interesting was done with it. The controls are fluent and respond quite well. That's pretty much it there in the technical points.

The gameplay is good though except for that last part is a giant wall to scale and this is where I drew the line. Climbing up this wall was not easy and not fun. You can make something difficult and challenging, this went too far. It reminded me why I didn't like fan made levels for Knytt Stories. One slip and it is back down to the bottom to try again. That didn't make me appreciate any skill I put into the game, it was just lazy design at that point, especially when you get to the top of the cliff where there is just one space to jump and you have to hit it right because if you don't, you're doing it again. I noticed in your description that you say you added a save point at the top of the cliff, that doesn't excuse it though. The presentation of the game as a whole was beautiful though even though I had no idea where I was until I read the description, I am beneath the surface. How did I get there? Why am I there? Who is my character? What is my character? I got nothing, but just a game.

This game did seem a bit boring and short for my tastes, I know you had a small time frame to make it, but I've seen better stuff made in 48 hours. I understand this was made for a Ludum Dare and the theme was Beneath the Surface, you could have done much more with this.

*Great Music
*Great Control

*Bad Gameplay

This is quite interesting I'll give it that. The characters called Goomys I must say are quite adorable. The worlds that they're in is also adorable, however it lacks any real depth since each area is nothing more than a pallet swap. The power ups I'm not sure what they are or what they do. Some more clarification would be nice, like perhaps a tutorial level or something in the menu to describe the power ups. There really is no story, just a bunch of Goomys going to the Rainbow Land. Why? I don't know because you didn't tell me. The music is okay, it is bouncy and cute, I think you had some missed opportunities though. The sound effects are nice and fit well. The controls are really tight and responsive which I liked, however the gameplay got dull after a while. When I was going through the 2nd level I just got bored with this game. You have aesthetics down pat, there just needs to be more game here.

*Great Artwork
*Great Animation
*Good Music
*Okay Gameplay

|| Jeers ||
*Bad Story - Implied A Story (Had None)

ShimoneShimone responds:

Thank you for your feedback!
I am currently working on a help/tutorial that will also explains what the power ups do. I hope to finish it as soon as possible. I wish I could create a story (and that was the original planning) but I have a deadline (March 28th) and I am the only person who is working on this game, so unfortunately there was no time to create a story...

EDIT: Game updated with in-game help/tutorial!

First off, besides having troll characters and faces and using troll physics as the goal, there is nothing to this game. It is very simple and mediocre, but will probably garner praise because you used troll faces as a skin and nothing more. Although the presentation of the trolls is nice, the execution of the gameplay is just pitiful. Hit detection is wonky at times and so are shooting the trolls. I didn't understand why I needed to shoot a troll to switch cannons, that just seemed awkward.

Some might think it harsh by me saying that you're using the trolls as nothing more than a skin to garner views and praise. However if you were using them effectively and meant it, you would have at least given us better sound effects. We get some balloon pops and the cannon fire. I don't get why you wouldn't get some funny sounds for when they died or whenever a level was beaten. All we get is them saying OUHC (misspelled of course). I even let the clock run out, since you're timed and it's on a stick of dynamite to see if I would get the classic WTF BOOM! Nope, just a basic explosion that did nothing to the level. The background music was nothing special either, didn't fit the tone of the game.

This is an interesting idea, but it needs a story, it needs fun boss battles, it needs fun sound effects. It needs to be more fun that a half-ass puzzle game with troll faces slapped over it. I haven't played Troll Cannon 1, but judging by this, I don't think I should. What could you have possibly improved on from the first? If you make a Troll Cannon 3, I sincerely hope you put some more effort into it. I urge you to go to the Writing Forum here on Newgrounds and find a writer to write for you.

*Bad Sound
*Bad Music
*Bad Concept

This was an awesome game. First off the presentation is just beautiful, from the look of the hotel, to the different characters. It was also a nice touch that each character moves differently depending on their given character. I also liked the different endings, although the one involving Cricket wasn't exactly explained well enough until you got Lucille's ending, but they were both still pretty awesome. The gameplay I liked the idea of possessing different people to learn information. The controls were simple and easy to understand, there were also alternate controls for other people, which is always a nice touch. The story though is simply amazing and it compliments the gameplay very well. The music and sound effects were amazing as well, I loved hearing the storm outside the hotel. All in all this was absolutely perfect in every way!

*Masterful Presentation
*Masterful Story
*Perfect Score

(none)

Oh Look - Another Art Game

I wouldn't necessarily call this a game, and that's what I hate about most art games. If you want a game to tell a message or have a meaning, then fine, but at least have some gameplay behind it. The gameplay speaking of which was dismal. Just boring and bland way to progress the story. A game is supposed to be interactive entertainment, you could have found more creative ways to expand the story in this game rather than just having short platforming parts and lackluster fetch quest missions. The controls are fluent enough, I did have trouble at two points.

The music was great, but it just stops at times instead of appropriate loops. Which I understand if a game needs a quiet moment, but when I got to play as the giant, I heard this awesome track... then silence before I even get to the village. It just baffles me. Also, why are there no sound effects? You think that would be perfect in a game like this, but alas none.

The presentation is beautiful not only on the giant, but on the village and mountains as well. However I hated that I had to play as this small pixel and the villagers were all just pixels as well. I get what you were going for though, to the giant we look like ants, but I think you missed some opportunities and fleshing out not only the villagers, but making a really cool giant in the process.

Speaking of which I got to the point of where I was playing as the giant and coming across the village and as I destroyed it, I was just walking. The what I assume credits came up and I just kept walking, I didn't unlock any medals, I was just walking. I have enough patience, but it was already dwindling due to the gameplay.

The story I must say is a good one, but it is also one we have heard time and time again and you have not brought anything new to the table in terms of telling it. This is just another pretentious art game and nothing more.

When I saw this up on the front page, I thought I might get to play as a giant throughout the whole thing and be a guardian. If you decide to make another game like this, I insist you make a prequel to tell the story of The Guardian, because other than the title we know nothing about this giant. Why was he chained up? Why do you call him The Guardian, but the boy nor the villagers call him a guardian? There are so many holes in this story, that all we're left with is a cliche, some dismal gameplay, and a beautiful backdrop.

*Superb Presentation
*Superb Music
*Good Story

*No Sound

Redundant, Frustrating, and Boring

First off the presentation is cute, but everything is just so small and it can be straining to the eyes. You don't need everything to be this small for the design of the stages, a lot of them are made simply so you have stuff to avoid. It was so small that I didn't even know what my character was until I read your description and I have to say, that does not look like a bunny. The gameplay is a neat idea and I liked the use of the blocks, but after a while it just turns from a gravity based platformer to an avoiding game in avoiding spikes. It is important to learn that objects like spikes are meant to be obstacles to challenge the player, you don't make an entire room or multiple stages with them as barriers, if you want barriers then have walls. There was a lot of creativity into this idea, but the level design just doesn't support it... it just makes the game annoying. Also for 50 levels the presentation certainly doesn't change up enough. The game just comes off as entirely bland. The music choice and sound effects were pretty good. Controlling my character was easy enough, but without the proper level design there's really no point. The concept is great, but the gameplay and presentation suffer. Not bad, but not good either.

*Okay Presentation
*Superb Music
*Okay Gameplay
*Great Concept

*Presentation - Too Small
*Gameplay - Level Design

TheSpydog responds:

Interestingly, you're the first person to point out on here about the small graphics. Doesn't seem to be a major concern with most people! Fair enough, though, I can see where you're coming from there.

As for figuring out what your character was...I'm surprised that it wasn't immediately obvious. It's the only thing on-screen that's not text, a background, or a block. And it's bouncing up and down. I guess if you were having trouble seeing the images, then the subtle bouncing would be hard to notice. One of my friends said the character looked like a cupcake, another one thought it looked like a bunny. So I combined them, and so it is officially a "Cupcake Color Bunny".

I personally think that the game is more interesting with spike mazes. Walls would be dull! Every object in the game affects gameplay - spikes provide a challenge, blocks are for coloring and for a temporary respite from gravity acrobatics. Walls that just serve as a barrier do not fit in this game.

Thanks for playing and going to the trouble of writing an extensive review, though. Wish you had enjoyed it more.

First off I have to say the look of this game is beautiful, I have to give you props on the Pope, the Cardinals, everything just looks awesome. The gameplay is simplistic, but gets crazy and fast, the controls are also easy to pick up and learn, I have to say I had a lot of close calls before the media finally got me. The sound effects were nice and so was the music. The only thing I could say is instead of just a survival aspect for a high score, I was hoping for levels and going through the whole Vatican and then fighting the new Pope at the end... that was just wishful thinking though. For what is here it is pretty good. This definitely needs medals, for destroying the Pope-Mobile, to how many children you can get, to getting caught by the media, there is a lot of medal potential here that I'm surprised wasn't.

*Masterful Artwork
*Superb Animation
*Superb Sound
*Great Music
*Superb Gameplay

(none)

Kenney responds:

Thanks for your review, really helpful!

Not too bad for a beta, next time upload your beta to your Dumping Grounds and post it in the Video Games Forum and/or Programming Forum for feedback, since you have uploaded this here I have to give it the fair shake. The game is not too bad for a beta, I like the idea of melting the snowman into a puddle to avoid obstacles, I was hoping for some attacks. Like a broom to whack enemies and snowballs to throw. There is no death animation, just a teleport, which I don't like to see in games. At one point when I died, I re-spawned underneath the starting area about two or three times before I re-spawned properly. The controls worked well, I didn't have trouble moving my snowman and getting him to where he needed to go, the hit boxes on those spikes though are a bit confusing with the absence of a death animation. There are no sound effects and no music either. We have the Audio Portal here on Newgrounds with tons of music to choose from, it's all free to download as long as you give credit to the creator. You've got a good idea, but execution is everything.

|| Good Points ||