View Profile The-Great-One

All 164 Game Reviews

44 w/ Responses

Slow and Steady Wins The Race

First off the artwork is great. The character and references given to the snail are wonderful, but I can't really give you much since some of the flash consists of pictures, but the costumes on the snail and what forest scenes are here were great. The animation is great as well, with the moving of the snail, but it begs for some wind in these forest scenes to move the grass, flowers, and such. The sound is good, that's all I can say, what is here is good, the main reason is because there isn't much here. In which the same can be said for music, but here's the thing the music is good, but only because there really isn't much. Why isn't there any background music for this game? The gameplay is nice, but having something in the background would've been nice. Speaking of which the gameplay is quite interesting. This game verges on being "Achievement Unlocked" but at the same time kind of defines itself while also coming from the popular :the game: and :REPLAYING the game:. It's nice, but moves at well a snail's pace, which is the point, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting and I'm sure it wasn't something anyone else was expecting either. The storyline is one clusterfuck that I'm still having trouble figuring out. The story tells of a snail wishing on the moon to live forever and so a magic sprout appears right beside him, all he must do is eat it... but instead we're sent through this odd journey to get to the sprout that was beside the snail at the beginning of the game. I'm gonna go with the teleportation rule through multiple universes on this one... it makes the most illogical sense. The controls are good, but again not much here. It's mindless exploration of seeing what little in-game achievements can be unlocked and that's mainly it. I did love the ending though seeing as it is one of only two scenes with any music.

*Good Music

PixelRey responds:

Clusterfuck.

Heh.

I'm A Super Player!

You certainly did a great job on this quiz. What artwork was here was superb, what animation was here was great, but when covering up the box art you could've made it a little bit more presentable, but that's just me nit-picking. When starting off I was flying through this thing in Easy and Intermediate, but those hard questions were hard man. I really enjoyed this myself and I bet anyone who has played a Super Nintendo will to. My one and only real complaint would be for you to have more questions say around 36-60.

*Superb Concept
*Masterful Questions
*Wonderful Overall Presentation

*Artwork - Covering Boxart - A Bit Sloppy

This Is A Basic Review

The artwork and animation are great, but truthfully a bit uninspiring... and this mainly is the fault of the animation itself. When your main character walks and the enemies move it seems a bit unrealistic and not even that awkward realistic cartoony feel either, it's like he's a robot or something. The controls work wonderfully, I have no complaints on jumping and moving these are wonderful. The gameplay however is hit and miss. It's a puzzle platformer much like the game Lode Runner where you have to dodge bad guys collect goodies and get the treasure at the end, however you tweaked it with this sort of time traveling deal changing the texture of the land and even the music with it. From peaceful village area, to medieval times, and future. It's all here. The sound is also hit and miss, there aren't many sound effects here and what's here isn't all that good, but the background music defitnitely makes up for it. Now there are some things I want to gripe about and that being that the hit detection of some of the enemies and obstacles is just stupid especially in later levels and even some of the earlier levels you're in narrow ways which isn't easy to navigate through to begin with... however it is nice that your health recharges over time.

*Masterful Controls
*Superb Concept

*Sound - Poor Sound Effects

You're Gonna Need A Few More Years

I'm not sure if these sprites were made by you or not so I'm just gonna take artwork out of this score, it won't go towards ya or count against ya. The animation is okay, but it's bland. The game is put together in a mess it's really not pretty to look at. However the one thing that cripples this game is the gameplay and controls. The controls aren't that bad, but when I jump I feel like I'm on the moon, I just float up and float down. Also I tried opening the portal, but I had to save Egon first, makes sense you described it in your "How To Play" section which is hard to read to begin with, so I went to go look for Egon and this is when I learned real quickly that the enemies don't hurt you... so what's the point in shooting them? I got stuck in random spots for some reason, not sure why, but I just couldn't move. The gameplay seems boring and if this is only the first level then I really don't want to see the rest of the game. Also it's not bad that you have the Ghostbusters theme in here, but don't tell me that you can't go to the Audio Portal here on Newgrounds and find a remix of the theme. I guess it doesn't matter since the song keeps glitching and repeating in odd ways to the point of driving me insane. You have a nice idea, but it wasn't executed well.

*Okay Animation
*Okay Controls

*Glitch - Get Stuck In Random Spots
*Sound - Keeps Repeating and Glitching Out
*Bad Gameplay
*Bad Story
*Menu - Bland and Hard To Read

Instruction Booklet Required

Well let's start with the positive. The artwork and animation are both superb, the details on the hero, enemies, items, and environment are all represented beautifully. The gameplay is actually a good idea, this seems like a combination of "Lode Runner" and "Super Mario Bros." which I like. Now for the negative aspects... the sound effects were great, but the background music doesn't fit with this game, swap out the Mario music with something a bit more spacey, but subtle... check the Newgrounds Audio Portal for more. The main flaw about this game are the controls and information. You tell us what to get to win and you also tell us how to move, which is nice, but it would've been nice to know that enemies would be spawning out of one of these things and there's not a lot of room to really out run all of them like in Lode Runner. As for the controls they are way too slippery. Seriously my character just goes slipping and sliding all over the place, that needs to be fixed as well.

*Good Gameplay

*Bad Controls
*Gameplay - More Detail Please?
*Sound - Background Music - Not Fitting

Jaws Eat Your Heart Out

The artwork is great, but the animation is quite superb. From the panicking people to the boats, to the aircraft, however the shark didn't look all that intimidating, but then again that would make him seem generic. The sound is all wonderful, from the explosions, people, shark, and especially the music. The gameplay is addicting and fun... being able to pull down helicopters and whole airplanes was the most fun I've ever had. The controls are easy to pick up and play with and work with players whether they are left handed or right handed or prefer a certain control scheme. This game is certainly a favorite in my book.

*Masterful Controls

Chrono Cuboy

Your artwork and animation are both superb. The facial expressions on each character was represented perfectly from British boss, quirky hero, nefarious villain, and even to the bartender. The sound was just absolutely wonderful from the sound effects to the music. The voice acting was hilarious and spot on, to be honest masterful. The gameplay was also quite superb, it took some getting used to, but thankfully this was a game that taught you as you went along and it even stayed real, as in the final showdown you were taught what to do in a speedy manner which to me makes the game seem more realistic. The story is quite possibly the funniest and more original stories I have seen on Newgrounds... brilliant doesn't begin to describe it, overall you have set-up quite the little game series here and starting off in the Wild West is a good place to start, hopefully the sequel will involve a Medieval setting with a dragon, but that's just my hopes. Wonderful game, can't wait for the sequel.

*Masterful Voice
*Superb Controls
*Masterful Gameplay
*Masterful Story

EdibleCastle responds:

Thanks for the long review!

Awesome and Addicting

The artwork and animation are nothing short of superb, the whole map and puzzle game are represented beautifully. The sound is also superb from quite peaceful townlike settings to the addicting puzzle themes we love from back then. The controls are easy to understand and you teach us how to play the game as we play it which I like. The gameplay is addicting and I had to stop myself from playing just to write this review. Overall a wonderful game to play.

*Superb Controls
*Addicting and Fun

This Is Not Madness

The artwork and animation from Krinkels and MindChamber is quite superb. Differing from the Madness series while at the same time giving us that quaint violent look. The sound is also quite superb good choices all around. However the one thing that tears this game apart is the gameplay. It truly is nothing more than a senseless beat'em up, I know with the Madness series you watch Hank kill a bunch of people, but more could've been done with this then just a senseless beat'em up, I actually did get bored playing this. One thing I want to say is you did a great job on the controls, jumping and firing have never been easier, my only gripe is it would've been nice to be able to hold at least two weapons and/or have the option of deciding which weapon to pick up instead of Hank just picking up whatever he walks over. Another thing is going to be the speed, first off when Hank gets hit he has a slow recovery time and if you don't think fast you can get hit again which tends to be annoying and can drag out the game for more than it's made to be. This game also seems kind of rushed, there is no preliminary battle or even mini-fight with the clown in his original clown form, all we get is shooting the clown to the demon clown, what the hell? Overall this game is boring to play, not very innovative in fact it's pretty much the same as Madness Regent, but Madness Regent was innovative and fun, this is just a rehash with hardly any updates to it whatsoever.

*Great Controls

*Bad Gameplay
*Not Innovative - Same Style As Madness Regent, But Not As Fun

Not Too Shabby

This is a simplistic little game. The artwork and animation are great. The sound effects are great, but I beg for more background music. I suggest stopping by the Audio Portal and digging around there. When it comes down to the gameplay, it's quite good, using spells and other fun blocks to get rid of other blocks, however the hero is pointless. He just determines where the blocks will fall and the only way he dies is if you clear less than 3 blocks. It's fun but can get boring pretty fast. Not bad, but could use a dash of complex nature.

*Good Gameplay

*Sound - Background Music
*Gameplay - Hero: What's The Point?

JoUBG responds:

Thanks for the great review! The hero was actually added quite late in development as a simple anchor to the stage. That is to say that he makes the player feel less disassociated from the game realm.

29, Male