The-Great-One

176 Game Reviews

48 w/ Responses

3 reviews are hidden due to your filters.

Easy Like Sunday Morning

The artwork in this game is immaculate, just amazing. I spent a lot of time just looking at the backgrounds of this game and seeing all the details put into it, I honestly can't really nitpick or find a flaw there. The animation though kind of suffers the same way as Infestor did; whenever my character gets hit he only flashes, he doesn't make any motion that he got hit and doesn't even make a grunting sound, the enemies hitting him don't even make sounds when they do hit my character, the boss battles are neat though and each boss moves accordingly well and the rest of the game does have clean movement, but it just seems like there could be more. The sound effects were a bit lackluster, with some guns having great sound like the Shotgun, and others like the Flamethrower not even having a sound, or its very quiet. The gameplay is certainly fun, many different places to explore and guns to play with, but with so much here the game wasn't really designed with much challenge seeing as how some enemies get a new skin are thrown into the next level to compliment its backdrop, the level design is awesome, but without much challenge in it there's really nothing to it. The controls are spot on, they seem just a tad stiff to me though after coming off your past game Infestor. Overall this is a very fun game and one that I would love to see expanded on more in the future, just up the difficulty some.

*Masterful Artwork
*Good Sound
*Great Story
*Great Gameplay

*Gameplay - Bit Too Easy
*Sound - Needs More Variety

Starts off Fun - Gets tiring Fast

Let's start with the positives and work our way down. The artwork on your character and the enemies are cute and fun, they each have fluent movement. The sound effects were good, but it would have been nice to hear a sound for when the enemies died upon shooting at them. The music was awesome for the first level and for the next levels after it, I liked this we go through this world, we meet a hilarious Newgrounds related boss and now we go somewhere new with new music? Well I was wrong on both accounts. There was no other music besides that first song and although a damn good one to hear this one song for the majority of the game just makes it drag on and on and on. Also as far as level design goes it's fun and interesting for the most part, treasure hunter in some forest areas with temples cool, but when that's all you got then it just gets boring, not to mention some levels just start with a blind jump in which I died twice for this. The controls are nice, but the character is a bit slippery at times, but not much. The gameplay also gets boring over time, for a game called Melee Man I was kind of expected a bit more, not watered down Mega Man. All in all I'm not really knocking this game, it is fun, but I think it needs a little bit more pizzazz. If you two intend on a sequel then you could add some power-ups, like a double jump, and more fun locations to go to like perhaps caves, lakes, an ice level, shoot how about climbing up a volcano.

*Music - Needs More Variety
*Gameplay - Level Design Needs More Variety

Wow That Was Simply Amazing

I want to start off with the vector graphics, although they are quite pretty, they are still vector graphics, done quite well in 3D, so kudos to you. I must give you credit on the very smooth animation of this game, it all flowed so well, especially when you end up in Pilot Mode, damn did that look freaking cool! There are no sound effects in this game, which would've ruined it anyways. The music choice for this was a good choice, fit the game nicely and is not a bad song to put with it, however being able to choose your own song was amazing, I threw on Nico Nico Douga - Final Mix and spent 10 minutes with this batshit insanity. Speaking of which we get to the gameplay. I've seen games like this in the past using music to score notes by moving about, other games have done this such as Audiosurf, but scoring points based off of stunts as well as the Pilot Mode that was awesome and it truly does get you pumped. The controls of this game were tight, I only fell off three times, once by accident in Pilot Mode, and the other two times were because I got cocky. Overall this is a very fun game and quite addicting to play. If you do make a sequel I would highly suggest you add in a feature to where you could play songs from Newgrounds Audio Portal, that would be freaking awesome!

*Masterful Animation

Impossible Levels Aren't Fun You Know

Well the artwork is a bit bland to be honest, each level is practically the same so there isn't a lot of variety here. The animation is actually pretty good here, with Rainbowman changing colors and the death animation is nice to, since there is only one hazard that I know of, the spikes then it makes me wonder if you could have done more with the death animation. Although the music choice from the Audio Portal was superb, I was wondering why there were no sound effects, seems like a game that should have utilized them. The controls are tight, but not much variety, just a basic run and jump. The gameplay is what kills this game though, mainly because there was one level that I just could not pass for the life of me and that is the "Remember Me?" level. Usually I don't like to stop on a game without having to complete it, but it is simply a level I could not get passed. After 176 deaths I just couldn't bear it anymore. Doesn't really matter though this is a mediocre platformer at best, but as far as working with ActionScript 3.0 for your first time I think you did well.

*Great Controls

*No Sound

Infection - Brains...

The artwork is a cute sprite base, I could see this format working on a Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance, cute and fun. The animation is superb at times with each little character's movements, but you could have gotten more creative with the death animation. The sound effects were fun and again something you could hear on a Game Boy Color. The music is simplistic and seems like something, again, you would hear on a Game Boy Color. Also the story is very simplistic and leads off into a cliffhanger, I would like to see a sequel, perhaps from the vantage point of a human rebellion, which humans are infected and which humans are human? A lot of fun can be had with this story concept. The controls are very tight and responsive which combined with this type of action puzzle gameplay makes for a very fun game. Overall a job well done.

*Superb Sound
*Superb Story
*Masterful Gameplay

Not Too Good

The artwork and animation is just wonderful, from the moving of Yan and the attacking thirties. However as pretty as this game is there are some flaws. The controls are bad, the running will either be too slow or too fast and jumping is unforgiving, I just barely beat this game because with the obstacles combined with the controls you're given very little room to screw up. The gameplay was not really all that great, with this story idea it worked well and was actually quite creative. Overall this game is nothing entirely new or interesting and can be quickly beaten and quickly forgotten.

*Superb Story

*Bad Controls

Skate or Die

The artwork is simplistic, but not in an entirely good way though. The stick figure I understand that you can't really do a lot with that, because it's a stick figure. However the other parts of the game could have looked better, if you send me a PM I can give you a list of artists that you might want to work with. The animation though is very good with the fluent of the stick figure dodging as well as his deaths. The gameplay idea is simplistic and makes for a good time killer, reminds me of the Helicopter game. The controls are a bit unforgiving at first especially with the jumping, you have to be nearly 100% accurate to make those jumps, but the controls do work out well. As a first not bad.

*Good Artwork
*Great Gameplay

*Design - Obstacles Are Unforgiving At Times

Creator vs. Creation

This game was fun. The artwork was superb, the simplistic stick figure with a ball cap, the enemies were bland looking, but their duties in the game make you fear them every time you see them. Overall the game looks fantastic. The animation was also superb detailing the movement of your character as well as the enemies and block placements. The sound effects used were masterful and hilarious, especially the scream of falling down a pit and getting the crap kicked out of you by the enemies, so well done there. The music was also superb and fit the game well. The gameplay is something very creative that I haven't seen, edit the level to get through it and do it fast, not only due to the blocks given to you, but the time limit as well. To increase your time you had to collect coins, the good thing about this was you always had enough time to get through each level. The controls were masterful, there's a lot going on and it's all easy to manage once you get the hang of it and this game has a very nice learning curve, but it is in no way an easy game. At times the level design did seem a bit harsh when it came to making some jumps, but that's just me nitpicking. Overall the game is wonderful I hated Level 38 though with a passion.

*Masterful Sound
*Masterful Gameplay

This Was Very Fun

Okay I want to get the least appealing parts of this game out of the way now. The artwork and animation for this game was good, but a bit too simplistic. I think you could have gotten a bit more creative with this, but overall the presentation of the game was good. The music choices were wonderful and I like that you chose songs from the Audio Portal here on Newgrounds, extra brownie points to you on that one. The controls of this game work out splendidly, but seem a bit iffy here and there. The gameplay is just genius adding new things to each level and then combining them together for newer challenges, it is frustrating enough that you want to quit, but you know you can get through it at the same time. The hit detection at times did seem a bit unfair and with added animation to show how you died other than you got too close to the spike, some sound effects to note this would have been nice to. However this game is still very fun and I would love to see a sequel.

*Good Artwork
*Good Animation

*Hit Detection
*No Sound

wiseguyy responds:

thanks :) Stay tuned for a sequel ;)

Ice Ice Baby

Well the artwork is great showing the fun colors of the shapes and the overall icy appeal to it. The animation is great as well, each shape moves properly and the tracks are moving at a reasonable pace. The gameplay is outstandingly fun and addicting especially the bonus for matching colors within the same rows, very creative. The controls are merely drag and drop, simplistic and fair is all you need. The sound effects are good, but nothing really to sneeze at. The music is happy and cheerful, but it's the level complete theme that shines here. Overall this game is quite fun and an addicting little puzzle game, I love it.

*Good Sound