View Profile The-Great-One

All 164 Game Reviews

44 w/ Responses

The graphics hold a retro look to them, but there's nothing really captivating or inspiring to them. Their animations are plain and simple, but a little too simplistic in nature. The gameplay was collect this do that come back here which is cool in games like Metroid where there's a lot more to it, but this was really watered down. Also when you die there is no dieing animation or any indication that you actually died except a sound effect and then a warp back to the checkpoint. The controls are simple and easy, no real complaints here. The music was uninspiring and I think you could have found better in the Audio Portal. The sound effects to are uninspiring as well. All in all this is just a very bland game with not a lot to offer. Did it kill time? Yes... and that's about all it did for me. If you decide to make this game into a sequel you might want to make it a bit bigger or take some tips from "Robot Wants Kitty".

*Good Animation
*Okay Music
*Okay Sound
*Great Concept

|| Jeers ||
*Bland - Nothing Wow Compared To Other Stuff Here

The artwork was a bit bland to be honest nothing fancy or as imaginative as I would like to see. The sound effects were pretty childish and the music a bit forgettable. The gameplay is an interesting one, it requires avoidance and collecting. It was too easy though, to the point of where I could hit all the stars and rings in a level and still be just fine. At times though it sucked when you started a level though and hit a star or three that was a bit cheap. All in all a fun idea, just not executed well. I think something like this would be more suitable as a platforming game or if it were to stay in this type of skill genre then the difficulty would have to be brought up some.

*Good Animation
*Okay Sound
*Okay Music
*Great Controls

The artwork I thought was quite superb as well as the animation. The concept of this game is amazing and I love it, defend Donald Trump's money from a bunch of robbers, classic idea. The music choices were brilliant, I loved the classical music in this. There were no sound effects which mystified me, it would've been interesting to hear all this going on. The controls work well and are simple, move Donald Trump's smasher up and down and kill things with it, simple. However the gameplay is what does it for me. At the start it was nice and slow, but after that first boss a lot of stuff was thrown at me way to quickly, it would have been nice if some of this stuff was slowly given to us in small doses instead of all at once. It makes it hard to concentrate on so much. Luckily though the curve for multitasking isn't too bad, but I feel a better choice could have been made in the progression of the game. Overall it's fun, but it moves a bit too fast, a game like this could while away hours upon hours if it took its time a bit more.

*Superb Concept
*Great Gameplay

|| Jeers ||
*No Sound Effects

That's The Inside Joke!

Well the music choices were good as well as your contribution to this Jay, kudos on the song. The artwork was very plain, a stick version with ZJ's face plastered on the front, it's like a voodoo doll in a way. The animation was weird, but it did work here. The controls were great and the gameplay was nice, but I wanted more, I mean there was little to no bagels in this. The story is an inside joke and I think it could've been explained a bit better, a nice animator behind you would be able to do this well. As an experimental prologue it works, but in a final project I would like to see more and something neater.

*Okay Animation
*Good Story

*Concept - Good Concept Needs More Though

Jay responds:

Thank you for the review.

I do agree that the concept is lacking. This was finished in a bit of a rush, and it is heavily based on the fact that it is supposed to be an inside joke.

But I think this could be a full project, and maybe if I put some work into it, and maybe get some others to help me out, it could be a decent game.

Balloon Fighter

The artwork of the game is simple and fun, the expressions on the enemies faces and the balloons is great, not to mention the obstacles. The animation is perfect, everything flows very well. The controls are basic and work out fine. The gameplay is hard, but it's the kind of hard that makes you want to keep trying. Obstacles falling from the sky with power-ups to collect and keeping your eyes on everything, it's like a combination of both Tetris and Contra. The music is great, but I feel it could have had better music. The sound effects are also nice.

*Masterful Animation
*Great Story
*Masterful Gameplay

Easy Like Sunday Morning

The artwork in this game is immaculate, just amazing. I spent a lot of time just looking at the backgrounds of this game and seeing all the details put into it, I honestly can't really nitpick or find a flaw there. The animation though kind of suffers the same way as Infestor did; whenever my character gets hit he only flashes, he doesn't make any motion that he got hit and doesn't even make a grunting sound, the enemies hitting him don't even make sounds when they do hit my character, the boss battles are neat though and each boss moves accordingly well and the rest of the game does have clean movement, but it just seems like there could be more. The sound effects were a bit lackluster, with some guns having great sound like the Shotgun, and others like the Flamethrower not even having a sound, or its very quiet. The gameplay is certainly fun, many different places to explore and guns to play with, but with so much here the game wasn't really designed with much challenge seeing as how some enemies get a new skin are thrown into the next level to compliment its backdrop, the level design is awesome, but without much challenge in it there's really nothing to it. The controls are spot on, they seem just a tad stiff to me though after coming off your past game Infestor. Overall this is a very fun game and one that I would love to see expanded on more in the future, just up the difficulty some.

*Masterful Artwork
*Great Animation
*Good Sound
*Great Story
*Great Gameplay

*Gameplay - Bit Too Easy
*Sound - Needs More Variety

Starts off Fun - Gets tiring Fast

Let's start with the positives and work our way down. The artwork on your character and the enemies are cute and fun, they each have fluent movement. The sound effects were good, but it would have been nice to hear a sound for when the enemies died upon shooting at them. The music was awesome for the first level and for the next levels after it, I liked this we go through this world, we meet a hilarious Newgrounds related boss and now we go somewhere new with new music? Well I was wrong on both accounts. There was no other music besides that first song and although a damn good one to hear this one song for the majority of the game just makes it drag on and on and on. Also as far as level design goes it's fun and interesting for the most part, treasure hunter in some forest areas with temples cool, but when that's all you got then it just gets boring, not to mention some levels just start with a blind jump in which I died twice for this. The controls are nice, but the character is a bit slippery at times, but not much. The gameplay also gets boring over time, for a game called Melee Man I was kind of expected a bit more, not watered down Mega Man. All in all I'm not really knocking this game, it is fun, but I think it needs a little bit more pizzazz. If you two intend on a sequel then you could add some power-ups, like a double jump, and more fun locations to go to like perhaps caves, lakes, an ice level, shoot how about climbing up a volcano.

*Music - Needs More Variety
*Gameplay - Level Design Needs More Variety

Wow That Was Simply Amazing

I want to start off with the vector graphics, although they are quite pretty, they are still vector graphics, done quite well in 3D, so kudos to you. I must give you credit on the very smooth animation of this game, it all flowed so well, especially when you end up in Pilot Mode, damn did that look freaking cool! There are no sound effects in this game, which would've ruined it anyways. The music choice for this was a good choice, fit the game nicely and is not a bad song to put with it, however being able to choose your own song was amazing, I threw on Nico Nico Douga - Final Mix and spent 10 minutes with this batshit insanity. Speaking of which we get to the gameplay. I've seen games like this in the past using music to score notes by moving about, other games have done this such as Audiosurf, but scoring points based off of stunts as well as the Pilot Mode that was awesome and it truly does get you pumped. The controls of this game were tight, I only fell off three times, once by accident in Pilot Mode, and the other two times were because I got cocky. Overall this is a very fun game and quite addicting to play. If you do make a sequel I would highly suggest you add in a feature to where you could play songs from Newgrounds Audio Portal, that would be freaking awesome!

*Masterful Animation
*Superb Gameplay
*Masterful Controls

Impossible Levels Aren't Fun You Know

Well the artwork is a bit bland to be honest, each level is practically the same so there isn't a lot of variety here. The animation is actually pretty good here, with Rainbowman changing colors and the death animation is nice to, since there is only one hazard that I know of, the spikes then it makes me wonder if you could have done more with the death animation. Although the music choice from the Audio Portal was superb, I was wondering why there were no sound effects, seems like a game that should have utilized them. The controls are tight, but not much variety, just a basic run and jump. The gameplay is what kills this game though, mainly because there was one level that I just could not pass for the life of me and that is the "Remember Me?" level. Usually I don't like to stop on a game without having to complete it, but it is simply a level I could not get passed. After 176 deaths I just couldn't bear it anymore. Doesn't really matter though this is a mediocre platformer at best, but as far as working with ActionScript 3.0 for your first time I think you did well.

*Great Artwork
*Great Animation

*No Sound

Infection - Brains...

The artwork is a cute sprite base, I could see this format working on a Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance, cute and fun. The animation is superb at times with each little character's movements, but you could have gotten more creative with the death animation. The sound effects were fun and again something you could hear on a Game Boy Color. The music is simplistic and seems like something, again, you would hear on a Game Boy Color. Also the story is very simplistic and leads off into a cliffhanger, I would like to see a sequel, perhaps from the vantage point of a human rebellion, which humans are infected and which humans are human? A lot of fun can be had with this story concept. The controls are very tight and responsive which combined with this type of action puzzle gameplay makes for a very fun game. Overall a job well done.

*Superb Sound