The-Great-One

176 Game Reviews

48 w/ Responses

3 reviews are hidden due to your filters.

The goal of this game is to simply walk through the door to win, however there are many different collectibles throughout the game that you can find to gain 100% completion. It is an interesting concept that a lot of big collection games take on themselves and it's kind of cool to see a game cut out everything else with the sole intent of collecting all of the objects, but at the same time it makes it seem like an incomplete game as well, which was the point here in a way.

The graphics are in pixel form holding with an old-school tradition, here it works well in the collect-able items and your main character, but this secret castle is bland in its presentation, nothing really pops out at you. I understand that the whole castle had to look the same and you couldn't experiment with all the rooms that way it makes the items harder to find, but the coloring of this place could have been better, like combining blue and orange together really would have made this place pop instead of this gray and yellow. The animation is nice, even though there isn't much going on, it is nice. The music was good, nothing fantastic though and it just droned on my ears as I was looking for these different secrets, something a little bit more upbeat would have been nice. Since you picked this track from the Audio Portal it makes me wonder why you didn't pick something to fit this game better. There are no sound effects which was disappointing to me.

The items were tricky to find and get to, but once you got Secrets #29 and Secret #37 things start to pick up and you start to do some backtracking. What I didn't like though was the testing of faith with some of the pits to see if there was another room there, it really got on my nerves when I had to backtrack multiple times instead of a wrong pit just putting me back in that same room, luckily though Secret #24 doesn't make this too big an issue, but still it was a bit nervewracking. At one point I wanted to give up and I did, I just headed through the door since I couldn't find anymore secrets and that is where you put more secrets, I'll admit it is a bit clever to put something after your YOU WIN screen, but at the same time it wasn't exactly the nicest move to make either.

The controls are a bit iffy, getting through small holes is not as easy as it should be, even with Secret #37 I had to take at least two to three tries to get through this opening which I probably wouldn't have even known was there without Secret #29. I got to the point that I just didn't care about the secrets, I just wanted that 100% completion, which is the point of the game, but it just makes putting effort into the designs of the secrets pointless, they could have been a bunch of coins or gems and I still would not have cared.

This game overall doesn't have a grand presentation which is a shame, because if it did this game could have been a bit better and if more of the secrets had abilities for your character it would have been pretty cool. This game does deserve a sequel to it and could even utilize a lot of pop cultural references and/or Newgrounds references as well and be a big hit. As it is though it was a bit underwhelming.

*Good Controls

*No Sound
*Music - Something More Upbeat
*Artwork - Bland - Needs More Pop
*Gameplay - Goal = Pointless

NoLanLabs responds:

Wow, excellent review. Thanks a lot.

A sequel could definitely happen; I'll take this review into account when planning it.

I want to start with the artwork in being very simplistic. It was good, but just way too simple. I know that these were to be used to help tell the story, but a little bit more could have been done. The music was also a bit simple as well, it matches the story well. There were no sound effects which disappointed me a little bit, but I guess this is a game that doesn't really need them. The gameplay however is what is fun here, dodging zombies, trapping your love, it's all so much fun. The controls worked well and fit the game. The selling point here is the story, it was written so well and was not only cute, but funny. All in all this is a very fun game.

*Great Music
*Superb Gameplay
*Superb Story

*No Sound - Would Have Been Nice

krangGAMES responds:

Man, "Cheers and Jeers" is and always will be the best damned way to rate a game. Kudos, thanks for the review :)

Well, a simple game at best. One that requires climbing constantly to achieve a higher score. A fun concept and done pretty well here. The artwork and animation are both very nice, I loved the idea of this office setting and going higher and higher within it. The controls even though one button were a bit tricky to get used to first, but once you do it becomes quite easy. The goal is speed and concentration to where panic cannot get the best of you and you have to make decisions and fast. The sound effects from the little man to the fire were great, but the music I thought could have been better. All in all this was a very simple fun game, something that certainly makes an outstanding time killer, nothing entirely addictive.

*Great Artwork
*Great Animation
*Good Music
*Great Gameplay

*Music - Could Have Been Better

First off the artwork was simply wonderful, I mean spot on and creatively put together, it was pixel art but didn't really look like a run of the mill pixel game. The animation was also spot on, the jumping and power ups worked out splendidly, the falling of the blocks was nice and despite all the craziness going on, it all flowed smoothly. Speaking of that craziness we come to the gameplay, this is hard game and certainly worthy of the title arcade. I would gladly spend a hand full of quarters at an arcade to play this, the goal is to shoot blocks to gain points and survive, a basic concept to be sure, but you have to make sure not to land on the spikes or be decimated by the falling blocks. There is a lot of multitasking going on here and it is amazing. The controls are also quite responsive, quick and fluid which is key for this kind of game. This is better than that of "Defend Your Trump" and what I believe "T E T R I S ' D: The Game" should have been. High kudos to you good sir and I can't wait to play more stuff from you.

*Masterful Artwork
*Masterful Gameplay
*Masterful Controls
*Perfect Score

(none)

Let's start from the top. The quirky artwork and animation is simply adorable, but not cute to be a turn off. The concept is pretty good, pretty much a penguin on a glorified snowball fight to the death, simple. The music was very nice, giving me a fun bopping sound while still reminding me that we're in a winter wonderland. The sound effects were nice, but were pretty run of the mill. The gameplay though is a bit of an understatement, the throwing of the snowballs and jumping mechanics could use some work to them, it feels a bit stiff. However everything that the little penguin could do was quite nice to see. The game has potential, but this game just falls somewhere in the middle of what it could have been.

*Superb Animation
*Good Sound

*Gameplay - Jumping Needs Work
*Gameplay - Snowball Throwing Needs Work

The graphics hold a retro look to them, but there's nothing really captivating or inspiring to them. Their animations are plain and simple, but a little too simplistic in nature. The gameplay was collect this do that come back here which is cool in games like Metroid where there's a lot more to it, but this was really watered down. Also when you die there is no dieing animation or any indication that you actually died except a sound effect and then a warp back to the checkpoint. The controls are simple and easy, no real complaints here. The music was uninspiring and I think you could have found better in the Audio Portal. The sound effects to are uninspiring as well. All in all this is just a very bland game with not a lot to offer. Did it kill time? Yes... and that's about all it did for me. If you decide to make this game into a sequel you might want to make it a bit bigger or take some tips from "Robot Wants Kitty".

*Okay Sound

*Bland - Nothing Wow Compared To Other Stuff Here

The artwork was a bit bland to be honest nothing fancy or as imaginative as I would like to see. The sound effects were pretty childish and the music a bit forgettable. The gameplay is an interesting one, it requires avoidance and collecting. It was too easy though, to the point of where I could hit all the stars and rings in a level and still be just fine. At times though it sucked when you started a level though and hit a star or three that was a bit cheap. All in all a fun idea, just not executed well. I think something like this would be more suitable as a platforming game or if it were to stay in this type of skill genre then the difficulty would have to be brought up some.

*Okay Sound
*Great Controls

The artwork I thought was quite superb as well as the animation. The concept of this game is amazing and I love it, defend Donald Trump's money from a bunch of robbers, classic idea. The music choices were brilliant, I loved the classical music in this. There were no sound effects which mystified me, it would've been interesting to hear all this going on. The controls work well and are simple, move Donald Trump's smasher up and down and kill things with it, simple. However the gameplay is what does it for me. At the start it was nice and slow, but after that first boss a lot of stuff was thrown at me way to quickly, it would have been nice if some of this stuff was slowly given to us in small doses instead of all at once. It makes it hard to concentrate on so much. Luckily though the curve for multitasking isn't too bad, but I feel a better choice could have been made in the progression of the game. Overall it's fun, but it moves a bit too fast, a game like this could while away hours upon hours if it took its time a bit more.

*Superb Animation
*Superb Concept
*Great Gameplay

*No Sound Effects

That's The Inside Joke!

Well the music choices were good as well as your contribution to this Jay, kudos on the song. The artwork was very plain, a stick version with ZJ's face plastered on the front, it's like a voodoo doll in a way. The animation was weird, but it did work here. The controls were great and the gameplay was nice, but I wanted more, I mean there was little to no bagels in this. The story is an inside joke and I think it could've been explained a bit better, a nice animator behind you would be able to do this well. As an experimental prologue it works, but in a final project I would like to see more and something neater.

|| Good Points ||
*Okay Animation
*Good Story

|| Bad Points ||
*Concept - Good Concept Needs More Though

Jay responds:

Thank you for the review.

I do agree that the concept is lacking. This was finished in a bit of a rush, and it is heavily based on the fact that it is supposed to be an inside joke.

But I think this could be a full project, and maybe if I put some work into it, and maybe get some others to help me out, it could be a decent game.

Balloon Fighter

The artwork of the game is simple and fun, the expressions on the enemies faces and the balloons is great, not to mention the obstacles. The animation is perfect, everything flows very well. The controls are basic and work out fine. The gameplay is hard, but it's the kind of hard that makes you want to keep trying. Obstacles falling from the sky with power-ups to collect and keeping your eyes on everything, it's like a combination of both Tetris and Contra. The music is great, but I feel it could have had better music. The sound effects are also nice.

|| Good Points ||